We all know how important it is to keep our Air Force 1s clean and fresh but sometimes it can be a little tricky. Air Force 1s are one of the most iconic sneakers in the world. But with the popularity of these sneakers comes a lot of dirt and dust. Cleaning an Air Force 1 can be a difficult task, but it’s well worth it.
Before we get into the steps on how to clean an Air Force 1, let’s take a look at the sneaker itself. Air Force 1s are made from extremely soft materials, which means that even small dirt particles can cause problems. Additionally, the fabric is prone to snagging and pulling. This means that even if you only have mild pet hair on your AF1, it can easily become tangled in the fabric and become nearly impossible to remove.
Air Force 1s are made of various materials such as leather, suede, or canvas, depending on the model. It’s important to choose the right cleaning method based on the material to prevent any damage. Here are five effective methods to clean your Air Force 1s and restore their original freshness.
Method 1: Baking Soda and White Vinegar
One of the simplest and cost-effective ways to clean your Air Force 1s is by using a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar. Follow these steps:
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda, two tablespoons of white vinegar, and a cup of water to create a solution.
- Use a brush or a cloth to apply the solution to the shoes, focusing on the dirty areas.
- Gently scrub the shoes using circular motions.
- Rinse the shoes with clean water to remove any residue.
- Allow the shoes to air dry naturally.
Method 2: Toothpaste
Toothpaste can be an effective cleaning agent for your Air Force 1s, especially for removing scuffs and stains. Here’s how to use toothpaste to clean your sneakers:
- Apply a small amount of non-gel white toothpaste to the shoes.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently scrub the toothpaste into the surface of the shoes.
- Let the toothpaste sit on the shoes for about 15 minutes.
- Dampen a microfiber cloth with water and wipe off the toothpaste from the shoes.
- Allow the shoes to air dry.
Method 3: Magic Eraser
Magic Erasers are versatile cleaning tools that can work wonders on Air Force 1s. Follow these steps to use a Magic Eraser:
- Dip a household cleaning eraser in water to moisten it.
- Use the eraser to clean the shoes, applying gentle pressure.
- Before cleaning the entire shoe, spot test a small area on the sole and the leather upper to ensure it doesn’t cause any damage.
- Once you’ve cleaned the shoes, rinse them with clean water.
- Allow the shoes to air dry completely.
Method 4: Machine Wash
Machine washing your Air Force 1s can be a convenient way to clean them thoroughly. However, this method is suitable for certain models and materials. Here’s how to machine wash your sneakers:
- Remove the laces and insoles from the shoes.
- Scrub the shoes with a cleaning solution appropriate for the material. You can use sneaker cleaner, warm water and soap, baking soda and vinegar solution, or micellar water.
- Place the shoes in a laundry bag or pillowcase to protect them during the wash.
- Set your washing machine to a delicate cycle with cold water and use gentle detergent.
- For tough stains, you can apply white toothpaste or use a Magic Eraser to remove them.
- If the laces are discolored, you can dip them in bleach to restore their white color.
- After washing, remove the shoes from the laundry bag and allow them to air dry completely.
Method 5: Hand Wash
Hand washing is a gentle method that works well for all Air Force 1 models and materials. Follow these steps to hand wash your sneakers:
- Fill a basin or sink with warm water.
- Add a small amount of dish soap and mix it until it creates a soapy solution.
- Use a soft brush to scrub the shoes gently, focusing on the dirty areas.
- Rinse the shoes with clean water to remove any soap residue.
- Allow the shoes to air dry naturally.
Alternatively, if you prefer professional cleaning services, you can choose to utilize Shoewash Supreme’s sneaker dry cleaning services. They specialize in cleaning and maintaining sneakers, including Air Force 1s, ensuring thorough cleaning without any risk of damage.
Regular cleaning is crucial to keep your Air Force 1s looking fresh and stylish. By following the methods mentioned in this article, you can effectively clean your sneakers and extend their lifespan. Remember to choose the cleaning method appropriate for the material of your Air Force 1s and always spot test a small area before cleaning the entire shoe.
1. Can I use bleach to clean my Air Force 1s?
It is not recommended to use bleach on Air Force 1s as it can damage the material. Stick to gentle cleaning solutions and avoid harsh chemicals.
2. How often should I clean my Air Force 1s?
The frequency of cleaning depends on how often you wear them and the conditions they are exposed to. As a general guideline, cleaning them every few weeks or when they appear dirty is a good practice.
3. Can I put my Air Force 1s in the dryer to speed up the drying process?
No, it is not advisable to put your Air Force 1s in the dryer as the high heat can warp the shape and damage the materials. Allow them to air dry naturally.
4. Are there any specific cleaning products designed for Air Force 1s?
There are various sneaker cleaning products available in the market specifically formulated for cleaning sneakers, including Air Force 1s. These products can help to remove stains and keep your sneakers looking their best.
5. How can I prevent my Air Force 1s from getting dirty?
To prevent excessive dirt and stains, you can apply a protective spray or sneaker repellent on your Air Force 1s. This can create a barrier against dirt and make them easier to clean in the future.