Washing your clothes with OxiClean could be a great way to reduce environmental impact, decrease the amount of detergent you use, and get your clothes cleaner in record time. Here are five tips for using OxiClean in your washer.
A study published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology found that per load, washing clothes with OxiClean produced up to 70 percent less water than washing clothes with detergent alone. This is due to OxiClean’s ability to remove soap scum and another buildup, which can slow down the washing machine and end up wasting more water.
Washing clothes with OxiClean not only protects the environment but also saves you time and money. Here are five tips for using OxiClean in your washer:
When it comes to tackling tough stains and keeping your clothes looking their best, OxiClean is a household name you can rely on. But did you know that OxiClean can also be used in your washing machine to maximize its cleaning potential? Whether you want to clean and deodorize your washer or enhance the performance of your regular laundry detergent, OxiClean can help you achieve outstanding results. Here’s how to use OxiClean in a washer effectively.
What is OxiClean?
OxiClean is a brand of household cleaning products that is primarily used as a laundry stain remover. The active ingredient in OxiClean products is sodium percarbonate, which is a type of hydrogen peroxide. When this ingredient comes into contact with water, it releases oxygen ions that help to lift and remove stains from fabrics.
OxiClean can be used on a variety of different types of stains, including food stains, grass stains, blood stains, and even red wine stains. It can be used in a washing machine to help remove stains from clothes during a wash cycle, or it can be used as a pre-treatment for particularly tough stains. The powder form of OxiClean can be dissolved in water to create a paste that can be applied directly to a stain, then washed out later.
OxiClean also offers other products like carpet cleaners, deck cleaners, driveway cleaners, and many more. OxiClean products are widely available at most supermarkets, home goods stores, and other retail outlets.
Cleaning and Deodorizing the Washing Machine
To ensure that your washing machine is clean and fresh, it’s essential to give it a thorough cleaning from time to time. OxiClean Washing Machine Cleaner is specially formulated for this purpose. Follow these steps to use it:
- Tear open one pouch of OxiClean Washing Machine Cleaner.
- Pour the contents of the pouch into the washer drum of your front load or top load washer.
- Make sure the washer is completely emptied before adding the cleaner.
- Do not add any detergent to this cycle.
- Select the “Clean Washer” cycle on your machine and start it.
- If your washer doesn’t have a “Clean Washer” cycle, run a normal cycle using hot water.
- After the cycle is complete, wipe any residue left behind with a towel, including the drum, door, rubber gaskets, and seals.
- Leave the door open to allow better ventilation and prevent odors.
Using OxiClean in a Regular Wash Cycle
When it comes to washing your clothes, OxiClean can be a powerful ally. Here’s how to use it in a regular wash cycle:
- For top-loading machines, add one full scoop of OxiClean powder along with your regular laundry detergent before adding the clothes. This will help keep your clothes looking bright.
- If you have a front-loading machine, mix the OxiClean with your regular powdered laundry detergent and load it into the dispenser.
- If you prefer running a cold-water load, dissolve the OxiClean in 2 cups of hot water and pour it into the machine as it fills with cold water.
- For front-loading machines with an external dispenser and no powdered detergent, mix the OxiClean powder with 2 cups of hot water and pour it into the compartment before starting the load.
Soaking Stained Clothing with OxiClean
For stubborn stains, it’s often beneficial to soak the affected clothing before washing it. Here’s how to use OxiClean for soaking:
- Fill a basin or sink with water.
- Add the recommended amount of OxiClean powder based on the instructions on the packaging.
- Submerge the stained clothing in the OxiClean solution.
- Let the clothing soak for up to 6 hours, ensuring that all stains are fully submerged.
- After soaking, proceed to wash the clothing as usual, following the instructions for using OxiClean in a regular wash cycle.
Using OxiClean in Front-Loading Machines
Front-loading machines have specific recommendations for using OxiClean powder. Here are a few methods you can choose from:
- Dissolve one ounce of OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover in 16 ounces of tap water. Add the mixture to the wash through an external dispenser after the machine has started agitating.
- If your front-loading machine doesn’t have an external dispenser and you use powdered detergent, mix one ounce of OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover with your detergent.
- If you use liquid detergent, dissolve one ounce of OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover in 16 ounces of tap water and pour the mixture into the bleach dispenser.
- Alternatively, you can add OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover powder directly to the empty tub before adding clothes.
Enhancing Color Protection with OxiClean
To prevent colors from fading, OxiClean can be a valuable addition to your wash cycle. Here’s how to use it:
- Add a scoop of OxiClean to the wash cycle along with your regular laundry detergent.
- The color-safe bleach dispenser of a GE UltraFresh washer with SmartDispense allows you to conveniently add OxiClean powder specifically to that compartment.
OxiClean is not only effective at treating stains but can also be a powerful tool in your laundry routine. By following the simple steps outlined in this article, you can harness the cleaning power of OxiClean and ensure that your clothes come out fresh, clean, and vibrant after every wash.
- Q: Is OxiClean safe to use in all types of washing machines? A: Yes, OxiClean is safe to use in both front-loading and top-loading machines.
- Q: Can I mix OxiClean with bleach? A: It’s generally not recommended to mix OxiClean with bleach as it may result in adverse chemical reactions. Follow the instructions on the packaging for best results.
- Q: Will OxiClean damage my clothes? A: When used as directed, OxiClean is safe for most fabrics. However, always check the care label on your clothing items for any specific instructions.
- Q: Can I use OxiClean for spot cleaning? A: Yes, OxiClean can be used as a spot cleaner by creating a paste with water and applying it directly to the stain. Allow it to sit for a few minutes before washing.
- Q: Is OxiClean environmentally friendly? A: OxiClean is considered biodegradable and does not contain phosphates or chlorine bleach, making it a relatively eco-friendly option for stain removal and laundry.